[mythtv-users] What IR ... --> Need Help, Trackball doesn't work

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 3 04:11:48 UTC 2008

> When I bought it, it was this model:
> http://www.cwol.com/keyboards/sk7551.htm
> which looks like you can still get it from here:
> http://www.pctekonline.com/skcomwirkeyw.html
>
> I've been very happy with the results
>
> Kevin

I got my new IR keyboard today.  I bought the one recommenced in Kevin's
post.  It looks great although it is not the one pictured in the first
link.  The second link has no picture.  It is a rather small keyboard
without any multimedia keys and with a trackball instead of a pointing
device.  It actually looks just like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166049
I like the look and size a lot.  It seems to work up to about 20 feet at
which point it seems to be missing events.  I am very happy with it.

Except....  I cannot get the track ball to work.  Both the trackball and
the two buttons only flash the lights on the IR module, they don't move
the cursor in an X screen or open any menus.  It works on my Windows XP
computer just fine so it isn't defective.

I Googled and found a few things. One suggested changing  xorg.conf from:
Option  "Device" "/dev/psaux"
to:
Option  "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

I tried this, restarted X, and there was no change.  I also tried mouse0
instead of mice.

Another suggested installing some program but as I learned on my last
"adventure" it isn't always (ever) a good idea to randomly try things
you read in posts.

I read the xorg.conf documentation and could not find anything that
looked wrong in my configuration (below).  A few posts talked about
mouse problems in 7.10 but there was talk that these were fixed in 8.04
and I have certainly not had any trouble with my simple MS mouse on my
myth machine.

It is always something...

I hope someone can help me here.  Perhaps some postings of an xorg.conf
that work for such a keyboard would be helpful although I don't want to
second guess the solution.  Part of xorg.conf is below

Allen

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

---snip---

Section "InputDevice"