[mythtv-users] Lost all recordings today -- no output from air2pc

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 23:25:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alen Edwards wrote:
>> All my recordings today are "File not found".  The logs show they
>> recorded normally but there were no files recorded.  Upon investigation,
>> I find the tuners are not locking at all.  After reboot, and the typical
>> 5 minute wait, they locked up normally.
>>
>> I would think this might be related to the 5 minute problem but that
>> seems to be a common problem that people live with.  I don't like it and
>> these same tuners locked up quickly on my prototype, but I don't know
>> what to do about that.
>>
>> So, my question is, is this a problem that others have seen?  What
>> causes it?  How can I be sure that it won't happen again?  Is there
>> something I can do to make sure I won't lose shows?
>>
>> If this is a random thing that others have seen, what should I buy to
>> replace them?  This is an OTA only system so I don't need QAM.
>>
>> Mythbuntu 8.02
>> Air2PC 0.2 (first generation)
>> AMD 5400+
>>

> I had a hd5500 that was doing that a lot, rebooting fixed it for a while, from
> some basic testing, everything looked right in the myth logs-but there were no
> files, and on testing with more basic utilities everything looked right, except
> that something reading from the device never got any data back at all, but also
> never got a failure, so myth did not notice anything was wrong.
>
> There were messages in dmesg about the card having serious issues (hours
> before), I finally traced it back to PCI bus issues when certain sata ports
> built-into the MB were heavily used, without them being used things are fine, if
> the built-in sata ports on mine were heavily used this screwed up the PCI bus in
> some way (probably did not allow anyone else any bandwidth), and caused issues
> with the hd5500-hard failures and pvr150's-data loss, drop outs, when those
> ports were being used, and also if I used things the "right" way would crash the
>  machine.
>
> This was on a older (apparently badly designed) VIA motherboard, it may or may
> not have anything to do with your issues, and if it is a similar issue, I am not
> sure what can be done about it, I moved all of my sata to a PCI card and
> multiple pci cards seem to play nice (on my MB), but the built-in VIA sata stuff
> does not play nice with PCI cards (on my MB).

Its easy to blame VIA, mainly cos their chipsets often ARE to blame!

Mythtv may not be typical of other computer uses, in that it has high
disk activity and high peripheral card activity (tuners) and these
things can show up more readily, or so it seems.

There was a recent thread around here somewhere where a poster
concluded that IBM chipsets were pretty good for this sort of thing.