[mythtv-users] MythWelcome and startup/shutdown

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 1 19:17:31 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 06:28:21 Martijn Morriën wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having some difficulty getting Mythwelcome and wakeup/shutdown working
> > correctly. I've followed the guides on the wiki, I know nvram-wakeup works
> > correctly. I've set the wakeup commands correctly in mythbackend (tried them
> > from the command line, and they all worked). Now I'm running mythwelcome
> > from a terminal. A message appears in the terminal saying 'Mythwelcome
> > received a SHUTDOWN_NOW event'... and then nothing, the counter on
> > mythwelcome's main screen goes back up to 60 and counts down to zero... and
> > repeat. How can I get more debugging info out? I tried adding a "-v all"
> > option to all the mythshutdown commands in backend setup, but then even the
> > SHUTDOWN_NOW events stopped appearing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Did you try the commands with the correct user privileges? I had the same
> problem, I tested and it worked, but when using mythwelcome the mythtv user
> was not allowed to execute shutdown. I had to edit my sudoers file and
> execute the shutdown command with sudo. My log files did contain more
> information. Put a tail on the log file and see what it says every 60
> seconds. I think I used -v all on the command line when starting
> mythwelcome.
>
> I had to make sure I did this:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythwelcome#Allow_a_user_to_run_the_MythShutdown_program_with_root_privileges

Thanks for the tip. The user privlieges is indeed the problem. I have this in my /etc/sudoers:

mythtv localhost = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/mythshutdown

but I can see from the logs that sudo is still asking for a password. The backend is run by the user ID mythtv, so what's going on? Is the format of the line correct?

Mark