[mythtv-users] Mac Frontend requirements for HD playback

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 1 04:25:45 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 21:39:16 Daniel Segel wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Simon Allcorn <simon.allcorn at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > I think the key question that needs to be asked here is what kind of HD
> > are you trying to play ? i.e. what is it encoded as ?
>
> I don't know the technical terms, but it's US Standard HDTV encoded with a
> pcHDTV-5000 card. Some of it is 1080i, some is 720p.

Minor point, FYI: (not meaning to be pedantic, but...)

"US Standard HDTV" is ATSC. It is not "encoded" by the pcHDTV card, it's
encoded before transmission, the card simply tunes the channel and
demodulates the data stream into an MPEG-2 stream. These streams take less
computing power to decode than the MPEG4 variants like h264.

Your point about the video drivers is interesting though, that would cause
problems.

beww