[mythtv-users] Mac Frontend requirements for HD playback

Daniel Segel dsegel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 03:39:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Simon Allcorn <simon.allcorn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think the key question that needs to be asked here is what kind of HD are
> you trying to play ? i.e. what is it encoded as ?

I don't know the technical terms, but it's US Standard HDTV encoded with a
pcHDTV-5000 card. Some of it is 1080i, some is 720p. Playback of either one
is spotty - frames dropped every 2-3 seconds. I also tried running it in a
window, but it didn't help so I think the problem is somewhere other than
CPU limits.

I tried to get Yellow Dog working but couldn't get the Mac to boot from any
of the 3 DVDs I burned. I did manage to get Ubuntu (Hardy) up and running,
but it was also a bit slow and sound didn't work. Also, there are also no
accelerated nVidia drivers for PPC that I could find, and in the end I
decided to go back to Mac OS because I want to run Toast for playing back
TiVo shows as well as MythTV, so I installed 10.4 and am trying that now.

The journey continues...