[mythtv-users] Scale down HDTV to 420p easier or harder on system?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 17:44:01 UTC 2008

I'm looking at getting a HDHomeRun box to get local ATSC channels in better
quality, however, my TV is currently setup as a 720x420p monitor over DVI.
Is it going to be harder on my system to down scale the video and play at
420p or just straight out decode and play at 1080i?

Relevant hardware info:

Single box (backend + frontend)
AMD Sempron64 3000+ socket 754
512MB PC3200 Memory
Nvidia 4 MX 4000 64MB
Using latest 96xx drivers from livna.

I've tried getting XvMC to work and glxinfo reports that Direct Rendering is
available, but when I try to play a video using Xine -V vxmc or xxmc, or try
glxgears, all I get is a blank screen/window.