[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:17:06 UTC 2008

On 28/01/2008, Scott Traurig <straurig at comcast.net> wrote:

>  Thanks to all who replied.
>

> To answer some of the questions:
>

> I'm encoding 720 x 480 at 6 Mbps (9 Mpbs max.) MPEG-2 PS stream.
>

> Remember it's apples to apples I'm talking about, source vs. the same
> stream washed through the PVR150. Forget about the tuner.
>

> As for what it looks like the best I can say is that it all looks very
> soft and out of focus. It's as if I lost all the high frequency video
> information.
>

> Movement is smooth with little artifact. I don't see any pixelization.
> De-interlace on or off makes no difference. Higher bit rates buy me nothing.
>

> Perhaps I should try encoding at a higher resolution than 720 x 480?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Scott

Scott,

Yes that sounds like a PVR-150 through a composite connection I'm afraid! Is
it a long cable connection? Maybe a short high quality cable will help? (if
you don't have that already)

But yes if you look at that comparison review of a ATI card that I posted
you can see the softness of the picture.
There should be some controls you can set in the driver somewhere to tweak
colour, sharpness etc, you have to ask on the IVTV mailing list. (There
certainly used to be things you could tweak on the Windows drivers if you
had the right tool).

But otherwise, it sounds like it's down to the card. The PVR-150 is a budget
product, unlike your old purpose built DVR solution.
And until the likes of ATI give us some Linux drivers it looks like we'll be
stuck with it! grrr

Cheers

Steve