[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 17:45:54 UTC 2008

Thanks to all who replied.

To answer some of the questions:

I'm encoding 720 x 480 at 6 Mbps (9 Mpbs max.) MPEG-2 PS stream.

Remember it's apples to apples I'm talking about, source vs. the same stream
washed through the PVR150. Forget about the tuner.

As for what it looks like the best I can say is that it all looks very soft
and out of focus. It's as if I lost all the high frequency video
information.

Movement is smooth with little artifact. I don't see any pixelization.
De-interlace on or off makes no difference. Higher bit rates buy me nothing.

Perhaps I should try encoding at a higher resolution than 720 x 480?

Thanks,

Scott