[mythtv-users] ivtv falls over and plays dead

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 22:29:31 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 11:10 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > My understanding (at least at the time I built that kernel) is that ivtv
> > is now part of mainline and isn't supported/distributed outside of
> > mainline.
> >
> > That's why I posted my kernel version.
> >
> It it is in your kernel version but there still is an ivtv version
> that you will have in your dmesg output. I am not entirely sure if
> your version has the fix for that. I had this problem a while back
> where every few weeks IVTV would lock up the tuner during the init
> phase of mythtv giving leaving a zero byte file and I would get a DMA
> TIMEOUT 00000001 error in my dmesg. After that I had to reboot to get
> my ivtv driver to work. My solution at the time was to use PIO instead
> of DMA. This was with ivtv-0.10.X and a 2.6.20 or older kernel. In
> late December I upgraded to the Bleeding Edge driver
> (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download#Bleeding_Edge_driver) and I
> have never seen this problem again. One other nice thing with this is
> that it has no dependence on kernel version so I can use whatever
> kernel I want and just compile the module and tools and they just
> work.

I have ivtv-0.10.1 and the 2.6.20 kernel.  I experience exactly what you
describe about every two weeks.  My wife is now trained to recognize the
symptoms and reboot the backend :)

I have tried repeatedly recently to upgrade the ivtv driver, following the
instructions in your link.  However, when I reboot, dmesg always reports
ivtv-0.10.1 is still running.  Any idea what the missing extra steps are to
upgrade this thing?

Thanks,
Steve