[mythtv-users] ivtv falls over and plays dead

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Jan 25 01:40:52 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
>> My understanding (at least at the time I built that kernel) is that ivtv
>> is now part of mainline and isn't supported/distributed outside of
>> mainline.
>>
>> That's why I posted my kernel version.
>>

> It it is in your kernel version but there still is an ivtv version
> that you will have in your dmesg output. I am not entirely sure if
> your version has the fix for that. I had this problem a while back
> where every few weeks IVTV would lock up the tuner during the init
> phase of mythtv giving leaving a zero byte file and I would get a DMA
> TIMEOUT 00000001 error in my dmesg. After that I had to reboot to get
> my ivtv driver to work. My solution at the time was to use PIO instead
> of DMA. This was with ivtv-0.10.X and a 2.6.20 or older kernel. In
> late December I upgraded to the Bleeding Edge driver
> (http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download#Bleeding_Edge_driver) and I
> have never seen this problem again. One other nice thing with this is
> that it has no dependence on kernel version so I can use whatever
> kernel I want and just compile the module and tools and they just
> work.

OK, I'm bleeding.  :-)

ivtv:  Start initialization, version 1.2.0
ivtv0: Initializing card #0
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23416 based)
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
cx25840 3-0044: cx25843-23 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner 3-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
wm8775 3-001b: chip found @ 0x36 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Initialized card #0: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150
ivtv:  End initialization
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039

--Yan