[mythtv-users] The end of analog - Digital Converter Vaporware?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jan 24 22:27:15 UTC 2008

Tom Poe wrote:

> Good question, Brian.  The mayor and the governor provided letters that
> are so similar, it's obvious they're both tainted by the same talking
> points.  Someone sold them a stock position they should take, when
> anyone drifts from the corporate line

More likely the same lobbyist wrote both the letters (or his secretary,
I mean executive assistant, did).

> It would take alot for me to be
> convinced money isn't changing hands with the culprits being the
> telcos/cablecos who are using profits we provide, to grease the palms of
> corrupt officials.  Hard to fight that tactic.

I doubt that it is that blatant. Politicians rarely know anything about
technical subjects, they depend on "experts" who are either lobbyists or
worse. A good lobbyist can usually actually convince a politico that
what he wants is actually good for "the people". That plus the fact that
a lot more money goes into campaigns from Qwest and Verizon than from
individual citizens.

And of course any politician knows that uncontrolled communications is
very dangerous. That's why revolutionaries always attack the TV stations
first.

But, as was pointed out, this is getting way OT.

beww