[mythtv-users] Are there any Capture Card / Digi Box combinations where the card can control the Digibox?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Thu Jan 24 10:36:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 03:11 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> Topi Hukkanen wrote:
> > Ok, can you then recommend a capture card that works on Ubuntu with
> > MythTV, and supports the little "pay card" so I can PVR with the
> pay
> > channels to which I have subscribed?
>
> Again, I don't think there is any capture device that supports
> CableCard
> under Linux.

DVB-T was mentionned. Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) is mainly used
outside of the USA, for terrestrial RF (-T), satellite (-S) and cable
(-C)
digital television.

So the solution is not Cablecard, as it is a US system.

The solution for DVB would be a Common Interface (CI), fitted with a
Common Access Module (CAM) for the proper encryption scheme, itself
fitted with the smart card distributed by the pay channel upon
subscription.

I do not know of any DVB-T solution for computers that has a CI
extension outside this product:

http://www.twinhan.com/product_terrestrial_3030.asp

It is not listed as supported in the LinuxTV v4l-dvb wiki.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_PCI_Cards#TwinHan

You probably want to ask fo confirmation on their mailing list:

There are solutions using other card readers (Phoenix), but, correct me
if I am wrong, are either quite illegal, not supported or not easily
supported.

There are some CI solutions for DVB-S with varying degrees of support,
though.

The solution may be to use a LIRC-based solution with an IR-blaster that
will pretend to be the remote control for a discrete DVB-T box on the
side that has CI/CAM support.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LIRC

As for your soap box and your rant on the powers-that-be, it is only for
the US, sorry, but not everyone lives there.

Nico