[mythtv-users] Processor

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:50:37 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 9:39 AM, riverty <riverty at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> Greg Mischel Smith wrote:
> > I'm in the process of building my HTPC with Mythbuntu for playing Over
> > the air HDTV.
> > I have an AMD 3800+ Dual-Core processor on my home desktop and I just
> > purchased an AMD 5000+ Dual-Core processor.
> >
> > My desktop computer is running just fine on the 3800+, but I thought
> > it might be nice to upgrade it and move the 3800+ to my HTPC. Would I
> > have a better experience on my HTPC using the 5000+ processor versus
> > the 3800+, or will the difference not be noticed.
> >
> > I currently just have one pcHDTV 5500 card, but I plan to get a second
> > one in the future so I probably will be recording and playing ATSC
> > HDTV content at the same time.
> >
> > Greg Smith
> > KCMO
> >
> Greg,
>
> First, nice to meet you. I'm in Overland Park!
>
> Second. I'm currently running a mythtv box using a 4200 x2 with 2
> PVR-150 cards and 1 ATI HDTV Wonder card. No problems and I could say
> that I show this machine "no mercy." I have asked it to record 1 HD
> program *and* 1 SD program *and* watch a different SD program all at the
> same time --> no problems. System seems to laugh at me and say "give me
> more dad!"
>
> Other specs:
>
> 2 GB DDR-II RAM
> 1 x 120GB Sata drive (system boot and music)
> 2 x 320GB Sata drives (1 for active recordings - 1 for DVD movie storage)
> Asus MB (I forget which model now)
> NVidia GeForce 7950GT 256MB PCIx
> 2 x Lite-On DVD drives (1 Sata and 1 IDE)
> 1 x Lite-On CD-ROM drive (for audio use only)
> NZXT 550 Watt PS
>
> Soo, upgrade your workstation and use the 3800 x 2 for your mythtv box!
> Should be fine. Good luck!

Nice to see there are some people from KC on this list.  I as well live in
Overland Park :)

The 3800 will be fine but more is always better...

Here is my system:
Fedora 8 64bit/fully updated
MythTV atrpms-bleeding packages
AMD X2 5200 (2.4Ghz)
1 gb of DDR2 800
500gb sata drive (w/10gb system partition and the rest recordings)
120gb sata (w/2.5GB SWAP and the rest recordings)
HDHomeRun
PVR 150.

But i continue to have shuddering HD video when com flagg begins.  But that
is a separate issue  that i have a email about.

Mitchell