[mythtv-users] utterly confused about custom modelines, whether needed

Mary Strimel mary.strimel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 22:57:48 UTC 2008

hello,
after reading the mythtv wiki re: modelines (here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database), I am more confused
than ever.
I have a new Samsung LN-T3253H TV that is connected to my Nvidia fx5200.
The TV claims to support a variety of resolutions in "PC mode", including
1360 x 768 which it calls "optimal".  The TV specs say 720p and the native
resolution is billed at 1366x768.

My display is working basically out of the box with a fresh install of
Ubuntu 64-bit 7.10 using Nvidia binary drivers (although I had to cut the
resolution down to 1024x768 to get a display).  The real problem is that the
TV emits a faint high-pitched whistle  ... ONLY when connected to my mythtv
box (it is connected via the VGA cable).  The loudness of the whistle
depends on what's on the screen (more whitespace = quieter whistling).  It
does not whistle when watching regular TV from a cable box via HDMI.

This caused me to wonder whether my refresh rates (or something else) is set
wrong.  A google search and the mythtv modeline database does not have an
entry for my particular TV model.  I am afraid that maybe I could break my
new tv if the settings are wrong.  The TV manual has a list of "factory
optimized" refresh rates for various resolutions, but I can't tell how (or
whether) I'm supposed to translate these into a custom modeline.

So, two questions:
1. am I supposed to be using a custom modeline or not?
2. If yes to # 1 ... how to create one?  The TV docs give only one value for
hsync and vsync per resolution, but modelines seem to have 8 of them.
3.  the wiki was ambiguous about whether the "Nvidia modepool settings"
concept applies when using VGA output, or does it just relate to component /
dvi?  (If I understand the wiki correctly, the Nvidia drivers have preset
modelines so there is no reason to create your own lines.)

More of my configuration and additional error messages are below if needed.
xorg seems to failing in trying to detect "EDID settings", not sure if
that's relevant to my problem.  Any guidance at all would help me.

Thanks,
 Mary

nvidia drivers version: 100.14.19

in the xorg.0.log file, there is a message of "unable to read EDID settings
from display CRT-0" Why does it think my flat panel is a CRT? Could this be
part of my problems?

also in xorg.0.log, it indicates a pixel clock of 135, but none of the
recommended settings in my tv's manual go higher than 85. No clue how or
whether  to change this.

My xorg.conf [as I edited it to scale down the resolution to get a working
screen]:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister at builder26) Wed Sep 12 14:29:17
PDT 2007

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "cursor"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Vendorname "Generic LCD Display"
Modelname "LCD Panel 1360x768"
Horizsync 31.5-48.0
Vertrefresh 56.0 - 65.0
modeline "800x600 at 56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
modeline "800x600 at 60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
# modeline "1280x768 at 60" 80.14 1280 1344 1480 1680 768 769 772 795 -hsync
+vsync
# modeline "1280x720 at 60" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync
+vsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
Vendorname "Plug 'n' Play"
Modelname "Plug 'n' Play"
modeline "640x480 at 60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync -hsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Boardname "nv"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
Boardname "nv"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24