[mythtv-users] Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 03:06:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 8:25 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Besides--in the US, at least--you likely won't be able to afford to
> > download TV or videos--even the legal-to-download ones--via the
> > Internet...  ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080118/tc_nf/57895 and
> > http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stories/T/TIME_WARNER_CABLE_INTERNET?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-01-17-07-42-17
> > )  The Internet is just a fad, anyway.  :)
>
> I don't think this will last.  Flat-rate Internet billing is pretty
> ingrained in the U.S.  They'll give up when people start flocking to
> competing ISPs.
>
> It reminds me of how from time to time phone companies would float
> trial balloons about charging by the minute for local calls, because
> of all those BBS and Internet users who were tying up their switches
> for long periods of time with their new-fangled "modems."

Consider yourselves extremely lucky. In the UK, all calling is (On
basic plans, at least) charged per minute. It wasn't 'til the spread
of the Internet (And much pushing from customers and government alike)
that the UK Telcos started offering "Flat rate" or "Free" local-rate
calling.

But then, Brits don't pay for incoming Cell calls (The entire cost is
charged to the caller. Mobile numbers have a different area code,
which is charged at a higher rate than regular calls to make it clear
a caller is paying extra).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston