[mythtv-users] * Please help -- can't schedule recordings (but can record with R, can view guide)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 23:09:57 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> I don't know what 'owns' is supposed to mean in this context, but the
>> scheduling thread is spawned by mythbackend and runs under whatever user
>> the backend is running.
>
> No it does not. My backend runs as 'root' which causes problems it the
> frontend is started as user 'mythtv' and the backend crashes: the user
> (my wife!) cannot restart the backend as 'service mythbackend restart'
> requires root privilege.
> So the system runs as root.

Nope. The various daemons (services) can run under any user the system
administrator/system builder desires. It's just that, because the system itself
starts the daemons, you therefore need root to run 'service mythbackend restart'
(i.e. the 'service' command).

In fact I got round that myself during testing by making an entry in the
/etc/sudoers file. I can now run 'sudo service mythbackend
[stop|start|whatever]' from my own account as needed (hopefully never).

Mike Perkins