[mythtv-users] 0.21

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:01:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 2:51 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:31:14AM +1000, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > Matt Emmott wrote:
> > > Off topic noob question, please don't kill me - One reason I've stayed
> > > away from SVN is my lack of expertise with compiling from source. Are
> > > there ways to install from SVN via Yum? Again, sorry for the OT
> > > question and diverting this thread but I've often wondered if this was
> > > possible.
> >
> > The mythbuntu weekly repository has the latest with multirec. Its tested
> > out ok for me so far.
> >
> >   http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds
>
> A *slightly* expanded version of which is "there are some people who
> regularly pull SVN trunk and build and package it."  This idea is -- as
> you can infer from Brad's posting, not widely thought well of: SVN
> implies "if it breaks you get to keep both pieces" and packaged
> installation implies "this is reasonably stable, supported code";
> they're pretty much opposites.

I get the impression that some of the Developers aren't too keen on
the SVN head weekly builds getting packaged and distributed.
Personally I love it, but I try to keep track of the Dev mailing list
so I know when might not be a good week to upgrade. So far its been
going fairly well. Its much better than manually pulling from the SVN
and compiling, which I have done before. Still it does stop me from
trying out some of the newest patches that get circulated before they
are stable enough to reach the SVN head. Which is probably a good
thing really :).

But that's probably just me being attracted to shiny new things. Its
handy to make sure you have a regular backup of your MySQL DB so if
wall goes wrong you can easily restore.

One thing to remember that MythBuntu offers two weekly builds one of
the SVN head which is the newest and some what frowned on one. The
second is the fixes branch which is the current release plus bug fixes
which should be very stable and is advisable to follow if you decide
against the SVN head. In theory it should be more stable than the
current release.

What would be good is if the MythBuntu guys produced some sort of
monthly stable package which contains one of the recent weekly
packages which hasn't generated many completes about stability
problems. Of course that requires a less automated approach which is
probably why its not been done.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Charlie M