[mythtv-users] Considering MythTV: Some very basic questions

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 17 04:13:56 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Gene Horodecki wrote:

> I need something that works as an appliance with a menu.. Something
> I can
> turn on and it's there.  No signing in, no mounting, and no navigating
> directories.  If you know something else that can fill my needs
> other then
> Freevo and MythTV please do tell!
>
> Right now Freevo fills my needs nicely except it's no mistake.
> Freevo has
> zero mouse support.  I can move the cursor around but not select
> anything
> with it.  I asked on their mailing list and it was a fact.  It's
> made to
> work with remotes.

MythTV has slowly been adding mouse support. You can run and not hide
the cursor. You can also click and make some selections, but there is
little or no feedback for clicks. Scroll wheel was added not long ago
so you can move up and down selections with the cursor, but there are
definitely areas that are lacking mouse support and you find yourself
hitting left and right arrow keys when a pop-up menu would make much
more sense (when using a mouse, not so much when using a remote).

The rest of your requirements are met with MythTV. If you have an
extra hard drive laying around, use a pre-built distro like Knoppmyth,
Mythdora, Mythbuntu, etc and try it out. Without capture card stuff
you should be up and running in no time.