[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware recommendations or suggestions

Jason Portwood jason at wkrp.com
Wed Jan 16 17:40:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> Doubtful that 430W is too low but you could have a bad PS. I have a
> thermal take 430W
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023&Tpk=430w%2bthermaltake)
> for a 2 processor Opteron 285 2.6G dual core (4 cores total) with 4GB
> of memory, 5 sata hard drives, Low end nVidia AGPx8 card, and 2 tuner
> cards and the system hits 300W only under full load. With the
> processors at 1Ghz the system uses 150 to 170W. I have not experienced
> any power related problems at all with this ps.

Well that knocks one thing off the immediate list to buy then.  Unless of
course it is bad.

How do you tell the load the PS is pulling?

>> Another snag I hit on occasion is when the system is really busy one of
>> the tuners will drop to mute and only a reboot will fix it.
> What version of ivtv are you using? I have seen this problem on the
> ivtv list probably 6 months ago.

My ivtv is at version 1.0.0

When I read that it clicked about that but I thought 1.0.0 is where that
mute problem settled down for me.  This is a brand new install now and I'm
running kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (Ubuntu 7.10).

Thanks,

Jason