[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware recommendations or suggestions

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:26:49 UTC 2008

>In this setup I get a lot of ATA resets.  I've searched and tried a lot of
>stuff never finding a good fix.  I had 3 of 4 drives fail one right after
>another.
Did you try running them in sata 1 mode?

> I've also thought
> maybe I'm pushing the power supply too much as well.  Not sure if 430watts
> is enough for all I have in the box.

Doubtful that 430W is too low but you could have a bad PS. I have a
thermal take 430W
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023&Tpk=430w%2bthermaltake)
for a 2 processor Opteron 285 2.6G dual core (4 cores total) with 4GB
of memory, 5 sata hard drives, Low end nVidia AGPx8 card, and 2 tuner
cards and the system hits 300W only under full load. With the
processors at 1Ghz the system uses 150 to 170W. I have not experienced
any power related problems at all with this ps.

>Another snag I hit on occasion is when the system is really busy one of
>the tuners will drop to mute and only a reboot will fix it.
What version of ivtv are you using? I have seen this problem on the
ivtv list probably 6 months ago.

John