[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:02:31 UTC 2008

2008/1/16, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> On 01/15/2008 05:40 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:

> >> Most 5.1 sound cards have 2 additional 1/8" output jacks, for the 4
> >> extra channels. These can then be connected to the 6 RCA input jacks
> >> available on most home theatre amps.
> >>
> > I see.  I must admit that I have never seen that on a soundcard.  So is
> > there an advantage to analog?  Why would you use it over pass-thru?  Is
> > it mostly useful for dealing with older amps?
>
> Mostly useful for people who don't have/use a receiver/amp.  Most
> likely, the quality of the D/A in the soundcard is significantly (and
> noticeably--for people with better ears than me) lower quality than that
> in receivers/amps, so the analog output is unlikely to have any benefits
> (other than the "don't need new equipment" one mentioned--yours (new
> meaning recent) and mine (new meaning additional)).
>
> Steven Adeff wrote a lot of good info--and changed my opinion on the
> benefits of digital output--in the thread at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/200580#200580 .  I'm
> still waiting for my 8-channel PCM output using DisplayPort (now more
> desirable than HDMI 1.3+, which I had previously wanted--but I don't
> think either is available, yet).
>
> Mike

Thanks for the explanation and the link above. A lot of information.I
spent my launch break reading the posts.

So what is the best solution at the moment when we ignore the costs. I
also thought as you that s/pdif is the best solution if someone has
the amp/reciever with 5-6 speakers.

I considered buying an receiver/amp and I found a few weeks ago a few
really nice boxes for $600-900.  My problem during the search was that
I have no experience with amp/receivers. My first and last amplifier
was bought in 80s :). Which one are you planning to get?