[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 16 10:54:12 UTC 2008

On 15 Jan 2008, at 22:48, Marc Sherman wrote:
> On most soundcards/motherboards, the line in (blue) and mic (pink)
> jacks
> do double duty as the surround out jacks.

It may well be my own shortcoming that I wasn't aware that "most"
soundcards/motherboards supported this, but just to expand on Mr
Sherman's comment a little I've certainly seen it on a couple of
modern motherboards.

With the most recent board I've used, running Windows XP, a dialogue
box would pop up whenever a cable was plugged into any of the audio-
looking sockets, asking what you wanted that port to to be used for.
There was a big selection, including "line out", "5.1 speaker left
rear", "front right" and so on. This facility was rather a surprise
to me when I first encountered it, which is why I'm posting - I'm
sure there are others on the list who have never seen it.

I simply installed the motherboard's supplied driver software to get
this - it caused a Realtek icon to appear next to the clock.
Presumably there are Linux utilities for configuring the audio
outputs in a similar manner, if your card supports this feature.

Stroller.