[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Tue Jan 15 22:48:22 UTC 2008

Seth Daniel wrote:

> Allow me to clarify.  I was curious (in an e-mail earlier in this
> thread) about *setups* that would use this analog feature.  Yes, you can
> have 8 RCA cables for 7.1, but presumably, since we are talking about
> Myth, this requires a sound card.  What sound card would support such a
> setup?  I've never seen a sound card like that.

On most soundcards/motherboards, the line in (blue) and mic (pink) jacks
do double duty as the surround out jacks.

Seth Daniel wrote:

> I see. I must admit that I have never seen that on a soundcard. So is
> there an advantage to analog? Why would you use it over pass-thru?
> Is it mostly useful for dealing with older amps?

I can't honestly see it being very useful to the typical myth user. Most
uses I've seen of those plugs have been for gamer rigs, with powered 5.1
computer speakers. I suppose there must exist some older home theatre
amps that have 5.1 analog in, but no spdif, or for situations where
you've got a limited number of spdif inputs and they're all already in
use by other things (xbox, dvd player, etc).

It could also be useful while you're waiting for your spdif riser board
to arrive in the mail. :)

- Marc