[mythtv-users] AppleTV 2 and MythTV

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Jan 16 08:17:56 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Craig Partin wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2008 4:42 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
>> Peter A. Daly wrote:
>>> Apple today announced the AppleTV 2, their second generation set-
>>> top device.
>>> Personally, I'm excited to see where this will go.  What do you
>>> think?
>>
>> Can AppleTV2 do DLNA? If yes, then MythTV is a DLNA server, and
>> voila,
>> instant integration without having to run MythTV on the Apple box.
>>
>> BTW, I've heard a couple rumors that the DLNA code in MythTV is not
>> quite production-ready yet - e.g., when using the PS3 as a DLNA
>> client,
>> there might be some issues with MythTV, while it works fine with
>> other
>> DLNA servers.
>

> I doubt it does DLNA but if you could fake the iTunes network sharing
> protocol it would work.  I believe the
> firefly(http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/) software does this.

The problem is that iTunes requires you to type in a PIN number when
you associate to an aTV.  This is to make sure you only have five
computers at a time associated with the device.  It sets up some sort
of encryption that the firefly folks, to my knowledge, have not
figured out yet.

> I think AppleTV2 is just a software update.  Not a hardware update.
> Calling version 2 might not be appropriate

My distinct understanding is that it's a software update.  It will be
available in two weeks.

--
Jeremy McDermond
Xenotropic Systems