[mythtv-users] am i dropping frames?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Tue Jan 15 17:22:11 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brian Wood
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:45 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] am i dropping frames?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> That all makes perfect sense, but when I plug my cable line directly
> into the tv, the sports programs are great quality. Also, if I up the
> pvr-500 to the max bitrate, I think that would be enough to offset
> this, but it doesn't. Does anyone else have this issue, or do most of
> you have no problem with sports?

Upping the bitrate gives diminishing returns after a certain point, see:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/bitrate.html

There are other parameters besides bitrate, in addition to resolution there
are a slew of parameters that can be set on the PVR's encoder, but remember
that the PVR is a consumer-quality inexpensive device.

But having said that, a PVR can yield very good results. If I look carefully
I can see the artifacts produced by the card, but most viewers, not knowing
what to look for, do not see a difference between the direct source and a
Myth-reproduced picture.

beww