[mythtv-users] HDHR Intermittent Recording

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Jan 15 05:40:28 UTC 2008

James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> says:
> I then ran it with the watch command.  The SNQ never got below 88.
> If I interpreted your email correctly, this is a very good thing.

Yes.

> Unfortunately, this problem hasn't happened for about a week.  And
> when it did happen, we weren't having any weather issues so I don't
> think that was the problem.

Doesn't have to be weather per se. It could be wind moving nearby
trees, it could be a plane flying overhead in the wrong spot (!). Such
are the vagaries of trying to accurately receive a very dense radio
signal like ATSC.

That being said, given how you're already using an outdoor antenna
mast, unless you're very far away from the transmission towers (you
*have* checked your address at <URL:http://www.antennaweb.org/>,
right?), the issues I mentioned above tend more to affect people like
me who use indoor antennas; the SNQ level says as much.

Rereading your original message at
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/308154#308154>,
you describe the issue you face as either/or: Either the episode gets
recorded correctly, or it doesn't get recorded at all, which only
happens if the initial signal lock never gets completed,
period. Assuming I'm interpreting your description correctly--that you
never, or almost almost never ever, see several seconds or minutes'
worth of video missing from some of your recordings, which in this
case would almost unquestionably be a sign of intermittent reception
issues--as ke-myth sagely observes in the thread, what you are facing
could very well be a backend (more likely) or HDHomeRun (less likely,
given your use of new firmware) issue. Having no experience with
MythDora I am at a loss.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Slave backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6