[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 14 01:17:07 UTC 2008

> jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>
>>      Any chance we can get them to send a pre-release copy to the
>> relevant kernel driver developers?
>
> You guys are on drugs if you think there will be -any- kind of
> cooperation on developing Linux drivers for this thing.  We'll be lucky

    Back when it was Brooktree chips, the programmers documentation
was freely available. I used it myself to fix the bttv compatability
issue with the bt879.

    Until we know more about the device, we don't have a basis for
any assumptions (positive or negative).

> if it can be reverse engineered in a few years to the point of being
> useful, and even then the subsequent analog capture and compression are
> going to produce results that are far less pleasing than the original HD
> source.

    "far less" is overstating things considerably. Even with analog
signals the tradeoffs aren't necessarily dire.