[mythtv-users] Direct HD encoding from component....

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sun Jan 13 15:52:26 UTC 2008

Charles H. Chapman wrote:
> jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

[deleted]

> We'll be lucky
> if it can be reverse engineered in a few years to the point of being
> useful, and even then the subsequent analog capture and compression are
> going to produce results that are far less pleasing than the original HD
> source.
>
> Chuck

The original HD source is usually compressed even further by the cable
and satellite service providers anyway, yet this is still an improvement
over SD.

SD Analog capture and playback of analog sources can be virtually
indistinguishable from direct playback via current SD settop boxes, so
it's not unreasonable to think that at some point in the future, the
same will be possible of HD content via analog capture.

Even if it's not perfect at first, it just has to be better than SD, and
I personally would consider that a success.