[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 11 22:35:54 UTC 2008

> Michael Nguyen wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> So, a friend has been thinking of giving MythTV a go, but he is a pure
>> Windows guy.  I thought I'd do something nice and build him a snazzy
>> MythTV box since I'm quite a bit better with Linux than he is.  Since
>> it's a gift, I'd really like to get it right the first time.  If you
>> guys were building a dream MythTV box, what would you buy?  I want to
>> get something pretty as well so that it looks like a real appliance (I
>> was looking at those Shuttle cases).
>>
>> If you guys were building something for your mother, what would you get?

You might want to check out where your buddy will be putting the box. If
he would put it in a cupboard, or behind a credenza, then you have a
much larger range of acceptable hardware, esp. in getting it quiet. If
it is to go on a shelf under the TV, beside the stereo amp, then the
Silverstone line are very nice..quiet and very 'stereo component'
looking. Only problem is that the power led it too bright!

As to finishing it off, I strongly suggest that you use a distro which
allows you to start mythbackend automatically, and that you set up
mythfrontend to start automatically. This may mean using a different
window manager than normal. But then, a reboot will bring everything
back to exactly what you would want for your mother..Turn it on, it
works. (And the UPS is not necessary!).

As to hardware, in North America, if you are going OTA, or there are
unencrypted QAM channels, go for an HDHomeRun. You/he will quickly find
that one tuner is NOT enough. (I have 4! PVR500 plus HdHR.)

Geoff