[mythtv-users] looking for an hdhomerun

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:53:34 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 7:11 PM, William Munson <w.munson at comcast.net> wrote:
> Larry K wrote:
> > Well, that would be great if I could do that.  How can I tell what
> > channels will be available to the HDRD, before I go buy one?
> >
> That is the rub with the HDHR, you cannot even tell what channels you
> are receiving as there is no mapping of qam transport channels to actual
> channels. In fact you will have to manually figure out what each channel
> is and then manually enter the data into the database and then will have
> to look up what the xmltvid number is for that channel. I would strongly
> recommend that you spend the time getting a firewire stb set up.
> Although quirky its far far easier than setting up a hdhr. Here in
> Florida the cable company (comcast) has a nasty habit of moving channels
> around every few weeks which is completely transparent when using a stb
> but will cause you large amounts of frustration when all of a sudden you
> start recording garbage or nothing at all.

This wasn't true for me at all.  I just got an HDHR and I set it up
with the over the air listings in my area, scanned for the channels
(on cable) and it automatically found them an mapped them to the
actual channels.  The listings are working and I didn't have to do
anything else.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.