[mythtv-users] Motorola DCH3200 STB: channel change?

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 02:48:05 UTC 2008

mstrimel at comcast.net wrote:
> hi,
> I have D.C. digital Comcast with the DCH3200.  Has anyone gotten this box to change channels via firewire?
>
> I saw one person who wrote that they are able to download video from this box via firewire, but that's actually not what I need at the moment, I just want to change channels.  I tried using the 6200ch script downloaded from here, since the page says it could work other Motorola boxes: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_External_Channel_Changer
>
> I also followed the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewire to try and troubleshoot the connection.  The firewire tester reports some sort of a connection being made about 40% of the time in p2p mode.  However,  the 6200ch script fails with the (correct) message that "there is no Motorola 6200 found at port ieee1394".
>
> Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
> thanks,
> Mary

I had a similar problem and I upgraded my FC6 setup to the SVN trunk via
ATRPMS.net as of 11/19/07 (0.21.20071119-1).  I compiled the 6200ch
channel changer and my STB was then supported.  I have a Motorola
DCT3412 and the original 6200ch channel changer via 0.20.2 (the one that
enabled the SchedulesDirect support) gave me the same error.  Now my STB
is included as one to accept to communicate with.

That being said, I can change channels with it fine, but it appears that
the 2 Firewire outputs on my DCT3412 both send whatever channel stream
you're watching out via the Firewire.  It has 2 tuners, and instead of
having 1 tuner on 1 Firewire port and the other on the other Firewire
port, the default tuner that's in use gets sent out to BOTH firewire
ports of the STB.  I guess Comcast is abiding by the FCC requirements by
having them available, just not in what I would consider a useful manner.

If I wanted to watch what I was recording, then I'd watch it and NOT
record it.  With that type of Firewire setup, I'm forced to watch what
I'm recording.  Not what I want.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a little bit.  My ramblings aside. :-)
Harry