[mythtv-users] How can I watch mpg files / "import" mpg-files into database?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jan 7 19:13:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 7, 2008 1:05 PM, Holger <myth at finch.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm rather new to "Linux on the desktop" and one of the biggest
> stumbling blocks is my "PVR"...
> My hardware includes a PVR-350 and a PVR-500, so I think / hope that
> MythTV is a good way to go :-)
> (motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM)
>
> I have used Windows in the past and will continue to dual-boot for quite
> a while...
>
> Therefore, my question is: can I watch my existing recordings (mpg as
> generated by the Hauppauge cards) in MythTV?

Two ways.  One, search the list for ragetvgrab and you'll find a script that
will import recordings in a particular naming convention using information
from the Rage TV website as title/description.  Otherwise, set up and
configure the MythVideo frontend plugin and put your files in it's specified
folder and they will be imported using the Video Manager (usually used for
movies, etc).  You can also just put them in the recording folder for MythTV
and run the myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script from the contrib folder of the
source to import with it prompting you for information.

Kevin