[mythtv-users] Analog HD capture with realtime hardware compression

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:35:11 UTC 2008

Here is an announcement people might find interesting.  Apparently the next
slingbox device (so called "Slingbox PRO HD") will capture 1080i video
through its analog component inputs and compress it with a realtime hardware
solution.  Check it out. . .

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/sling-medias-slingbox-pro-hd-slingplayer-for-blackberry-announ/

*Attention:*  Before you reply and tell me, "You are stupid.  The slingbox
PRO down grades the HD signal into a lower resolution. . .", read the
article.  That was the "slingbox PRO" the is the this is the "slingbox PRO
HD".

Even if there is no way to use this with MythTV it is still really good
news.  It shows that a cheap hardware solution for capturing and compressing
an HD analog signal is soon to hit the market.  How long until some company
(Hauppauge, Aver, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) makes a cheap PCI-E card that does
this for us?  Personally I would love silicon dust to make a HDhomerun type
device that uses this setup.  (hint, hint)