[mythtv-users] Intro---

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 09:44:50 UTC 2008

On 1/1/08, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> Sure, you can do that. Another option you might consider is your
> backend on a noisy machine hidden away somewhere and the frontend as a
> diskless system near the display.

I second that recommendation.  I moved to a split frontend / backend early
on and it's one of the best things I ever did.  I've got a stonking big
backend which has morphed into a multi-purpose server (running zoneminder,
slimserver, files for my mac/Windows machines, ...) and in addition is
running XP in a vmware session which I use film editing / photo editing
work.  (The performance hit isn't that big running windows as a virtual
machine)

THen I've got three lightweight, silent frontends.  No need to compromise.