[mythtv-users] Time for new hardware. CPU HIGH loads

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 07:43:11 UTC 2008

On 2/13/08, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at gmail.com> says:
> > I just tried the barberofseville sample 1080p from the Apple site and
> > it plays perfectly with 45-50% reported in top with mplayer.
>
> Ah, so you can't play it with the MythVideo internal player either,
> eh? I can play many of the 1080p clips Apple hosts,[1] such as
> bbc_cctv,[2] but the Barber of Seville one and a few others don't;
> after a few seconds of a black screen MythVideo returns to the list of
> videos.

Right.  Same behavior with the internal player.  I have had problems
with other lower resolution h,264 stuff so it doesn't surprise me.  I
am sure as h.264 becomes more important the myth internal player will
be fixed and be fine.

My reason for posting is just to illustrate that a 1.86 C2D 6300 is
enough CPU power to easily play mpeg2 720p/1080i TV and since mplayer
can easily do 1080p at some point mythtv will too.  A 3.0 Ghz Core2Duo
is certainly not required and there must be some other problem in the
OP's setup... whether it be a bad mythtv SVN revision or something
else.

When I get some time I plan to grab some more videos to test and add
info to the wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/HD_Playback_Reports,  I have
three different Core2Duo systems I can test.