[mythtv-users] All the other 1TB HDD bubbles

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 11 18:44:35 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> It's a bit unusual for Best Buy to have an external drive cheaper than
> newegg has the raw drive.  And it's a cast iron pain the ass for me to
> copy that URL out of mutt into Firefox; clearly, BestBuy's web people
> need to be taken out behind the woodshed.  That page actually *says*
> it's the 1TB bubble?

I've often seen external drives cheaper than the bare units. One reason
might be that support costs are cheaper: A consumer is less likely to
have problems and call for help with an external USB drive than an
internal IDE unit.

Also, since they usually don't spec the drive inside the case they can
throw whatever they have an excess of into a case and sell it, while
with a bare drive folks can be picky about what drive it is.

beww