[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 11 15:07:55 UTC 2008

Anthony R. Baker wrote:
>     Does anyone think this wouldn't work for a standard def. system
> Iomega 1TB Double USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive promo price $225.95
> <http://www.iomega.com/direct/main/home.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=26891273&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=47074111&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=63191&bmUID=1202739229119>

It should work, with caveats.

I've used a couple of different USB external drives with success. I
never recorded on them, I recorded onto a PATA drive, then copied the
recordings to a USB drive using myth_archive_job (not to be confused
with mytharchive).

Where you might get into trouble is if you were making multiple
recordings, playing back and recording at the same time, running
commflag or transcode jobs while recording/playing etc.

Obviously a USB drive is slower than an IDE variant, and uses more
system resources. I've played back SD recordings successfully from a USB
drive, but I can't recall if I ever did that while recording or running
other jobs.

I don't think I'd try using it as the main storage device for a system
with multiple tuners that's going to be heavily used, but for secondary
storage on a lightly used system it should be OK.

Lots of people use NFS mounts for storage, and that's certainly slower
than USB.

But, the main question, why not just put those drives in a PC case and
use them as they were originally intended (PATA or SATA), saving the
cost of the USB case?

beww