[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 11 15:24:58 UTC 2008

> Anthony R. Baker wrote:
[deletia]
> I don't think I'd try using it as the main storage device for a system
> with multiple tuners that's going to be heavily used, but for secondary
> storage on a lightly used system it should be OK.
>
> Lots of people use NFS mounts for storage, and that's certainly slower
> than USB.

   I'm not sure I would go quite that far.

   I've had varied results with USB and I've managed to get NFS
performance that overlaps well into the performance range for USB.

I agree with your idea of just having a complete PC that you can
add bare drives to. I made a fortunate choice with my first backend
mobo and have been able to continually add storage drive by drive.

   It was cheap. Although the vid chipset isn't good enough for
frontend use (it's ATI). However, that board does have drive ports
(ATA and SATA) out the wazoo.

   You can easily find similar boards in the $60 range at newegg
or Frys. You might even be able to find a good combo deal.

   That system has 6 drives in it now. I could add another if not
for the fact that I just ran out of drive bays.

[deletia]