[mythtv-users] DVI/VGA -> Component?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:09:20 UTC 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 9:11 AM, Justin <luitjens at cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> I currently take my PC video from my computer straight to the TV using a
> straight through VGA cable.  I have a mixer which does not support a VGA  or
> DVI input.  However, it does support many component inputs.  I see there are
> cables which can go from VGA or DVI to Component.  My question is will I
> have decernable loss in video quality if I do this?

You probably would see a drop in quality moving to component, though it will
depend on the converter and the TV. With my plasma I can see a difference
between VGA and DVI and component will be worse than VGA (though it may not
be noticeable).

> My TV's native resolution is 1360x768 and i'd like to keep the signal at
> that resolution.  Will a DVI to component cable alter the resolution?  Will
> that cable be able to handle a 1360x768 progressive signal?

I don't think you'll be able to feed a 1360x768 signal to the TV via
component. I'm not sure how the converter will handle it but I imagine that
the TV will be expecting a "TV" resolution - 480i/p, 576i/p, 720ip, or
1080i/p. Check your TV manual.

> The reason I want to do this is that I don't want to have to switch the TV
> input and the mixer input when I want to switch what I'm watching.  I  want
> it all to be controlled by the mixer.

You should probably just try it unless the converter is expensive. Only you
can say whether the drop in quality is worth the convenience.

Cheers,
Steve