[mythtv-users] Re-doing my backend

David Frascone frasconebulk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:31:12 UTC 2008

Finally, my last question.

In an effort to be more green, I'd like to get rid of my two rack-mount,
server class machines in my basement.  Currently, one is a general purpose
server, with all my "important" stuff on it (< 80Gb), and one is my mythtv
backend.

The general purpose server runs DHCPD, DNS, sshd, samba, http, https,
mysqld, and anything else I think I need.  It is also the root filesystem
server for two dedicated frontends.  The mythtv backend has two PVR-500's,
and accepts video from a hdhomerun.

So -- to go greener, I'd like to move to a commodity motherboard (just
depricated one moving to an iMac), in a huge rackmount case.

Here are the questions:

I'd like my "important" stuff to be kinda backed up.  Either with raid, or
maybe just mirror'ed onto the myth video storage -- just to be safe.  I
think I should not worry about raid 5 here -- what do you think?
The mythtv video store is not important to me -- I was planning on just
buying a couple of 500Gb or so disks.  No redundancy.

Can a normal 2.4Ghz CPU handle the job of those two file servers?  (Video
traffic + room to spare for other low cpu things)?  Keep in mind, I have 2
hd tuners, and 4 sd tuners.  Plus, it has to handle serving filesystems and
video traffic to two dedicated front ends.

I think I'm going to be ok -- but I wanted to sanity check it with you
guys.  I'm pretty sure server-class machines suck up WAY more power than
desktop machines.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

P.S.  I think that's all of my questions -- for now!