[mythtv-users] X Sartup ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 3 19:58:43 UTC 2008

On 02/03/2008 02:23 PM, David Frascone wrote:
> I've been running dedicated frontends for a while, but started
> thinking, "there may be a better way"
>
> Right now, I use the auto login function of gdm to login myth after 5
> secs, and run the myth user's default Xsession, which starts my myth
> frontend, xscreensaver, etc, and blackbox.  (very lightweight wm).
>
> What do people normally use to startup myth on a dedicated frontend?
> I've been thinking that there may be a lighter weight solution than gdm.

With the exception of the very broken/unsupported "no window manager"
option, this page has some pretty OK solutions:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Auto_Login

(And, before people start posting, "It works for me," just because you
haven't found what's broken doesn't mean it works.  And, there's no
benefit to running without a WM:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F
.)

There's also a writeup at http://linuxgazette.net/issue72/chung.html
with some good info (though some parts dated).

Mike