[mythtv-users] What would happen if I cloned a working system disk and put it in another system?

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed Dec 31 02:25:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Craig Huff wrote:

> And, yeah, now that you mention it, I think my issues with using dd
> instead of dump and restore (my O/S partitions are ext3) were the two
> show-stoppers of having the target disk smaller and the source disk of
> interest had the /video partition as well as root, /var, swap, etc.
>
> I'll give the dump | restore process a try and see what happens.

The absolute simplest way I've found to clone a a system is with gparted,
essentially the Gnu clone of the old Partition Magic program. It lets you
copy and resize partitions.

There is even a live CD available (since it can't copy the running boot
partition). If you are cloning a system to boot it's a good idea not to
have it running anyway.

When gparted won't work for whatever reason, I use rsync to copy the
filesystems directly. Just remember to pass the -H option so hard links are
preserved.

rsync -avPHrSx  /source  /dest