[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Tue Dec 30 02:07:36 UTC 2008

David Brieck Jr. wrote:

> Were you able to SSH into your server at home? If you are able to do
> that, you can forward ports over the SSH connection. The other thing
> you can do is setup openvpn and use that to connect directly to your
> home network. Since it's a VPN connection you are less likely to have
> it blocked since they wouldn't want to upset their business customers.
>
> When staying at a hotel I never use their connection directly, instead
> I either VPN into another network with a proxy server and use the
> proxy or SSH into another network and forward the proxy port and
> access the internet that way.

yeah, thats a good idea, ive found nearly every hotel ive stayed at and
tried wireless, ports are blocked.  Ive invested in an option gt max
cell card, never had a problem, ssh, tunneling, non standard ports, all
work 100%.  if you can swing the $60 month or tether your phone for
cheaper thats what I do.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com