[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital - Do i have this straight?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Dec 29 22:43:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 15:09 -0700, Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 10:34 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> > That means a set-top box in places where the majority
> > of channels are encrypted (such as Comcast in Denver/Boulder).
>
> Guys,
>
> I'm pretty confused what direction to go.

That's because there isn't a definitive answer. It all depends on what
Comcast decides to do, and we cannot predict that.

> 1. They will keep a basic packages of channels as we have now analog but
> they will be digital.

Assuming this means they will be digital-but-unencrypted (may not be
what she meant), then your pc5500 card should be able to get them. But
as soon as they start sending all channels in digital instead of analog,
the PVR-350 will be useless (at least as a tuner).

What I have been told is that they have no plans to do this as yet.
Certainly not on Feb. 17,2009. But eventually they will do it and then
my PVR-500 will be useless. If they really do continue to send the
channels we currently get in analog in the clear after converting to
digital, then I will be able to get them on my HDHomerun.

> 2. Any of these digital channels can be seen with any tv with a quam
> tunner without the need of a comcast box so they are not scramble.

Let's hope they stick to that. They are under no obligation to do so. I
trust Comcast about as far as I can throw them.

> 4. I did not ask about  the digital to analog conversion because I did
> not know it. I though if you have an analog tv then you need a box with
> the tunner (comcast box) to use it.

That is up to Comcast. The mandatory conversion next February doesn't
affect the cable companies at all, it only affects people who are
receiving over-the-air broadcasts. Those are going to be all-digital, so
if you have rabbit ears, they won't work after February. But this does
NOT mean that the cable company will start transmitting in digital; that
is entirely their choice.

> 5. Does any of you are using either HDPVR or the pcHDTV hd-5500 card?

I'm using an HDHomerun, which really should get the same set of channels
as an hd-5500 would. They are both QAM digital tuners. I have an HD-PVR
1200 unit but I have not hooked it up yet. I am waiting for VDPAU to be
production quality and for HD-PVR support to make it into the released
version before I try it. This is my hope for getting HD (digital)
channels that are currently encrypted into Myth, such as ESPN.

--Greg