[mythtv-users] How to preserve subtitles / captions while applying the cutlist?

Niels Dybdahl ndylist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 12:51:42 UTC 2008

> I notice by the way that the file, though it still ends in
> .mpg, has been turned from an MPEG2 TS into an MPEG2 PS; so
> there is some non-trivial processing going on and it isn't
> just copying bytes from one file to the other except between
> the times marked in the cut list, which is what I'd like.

As far as I have understood TS and PS, a TS can contain any numbers of
videostreams, audiostreams and other streams (captions, teletext etc) while
a PS can only contain one videostream and one audiostream. In addition a TS
contains synchronization information.
So the TS is larger than the PS and so it is logically to use PS for a file
that is intended to be small.

However I also miss the captions and actually it should be very simple to
make a lossless transcoder from TS to TS as the file has synchronization
markers, so it can simply be cut (and maybe preserve some header).

It would also be nice to be able of keeping the captions when transcoding to
MPEG4. DVB-T in Europe has started using MPEG4, so there must be some kind
of support for captions in an MPEG4 file. Alternatively if the internal
player could take the captions from a separate file, then the captions could
be split into a separate file before the video was transcoded.

Best regards
Niels Dybdahl