[mythtv-users] How to preserve subtitles / captions while applying the cutlist?

uli bin ub40dd at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 26 00:29:43 UTC 2008

I use mythtv with a DVB-T tuner (Hauppauge Nova-T usb stick)
and the shows are recorded as .mpg (MPEG2 TS). In most cases
the shows come with subtitles / closed captions from teletext
which I can view during playback by pressing T.

If, after defining a cutlist, I transcode the file, I then
lose the captions, even if I ask for lossless transcoding by
setting the relevant checkbox in setup / setup / tv settings
/ recording profiles / transcoders / high quality / lossless
transcoding.

When I invoke this job on a show, with left-arrow / job
options / begin transcoding / high quality, after the cutlist
is applied I find that the captions have disappeared from the
file.

I notice by the way that the file, though it still ends in
.mpg, has been turned from an MPEG2 TS into an MPEG2 PS; so
there is some non-trivial processing going on and it isn't
just copying bytes from one file to the other except between
the times marked in the cut list, which is what I'd like.

Is there a way to have a "really really lossless" setting,
i.e. pure mpeg2 copy without any recoding? I don't mind if it
only works at I-frame boundaries.

Alternatively, is there any way to force the existing
"lossless" transcoding to preserve the captions?

Thank you