[mythtv-users] Trying to get a TV signal into myth-tv using Haupauge Nova-T 500

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 23:58:36 UTC 2008

On 28/12/2008, Helge Fredriksen <helgeingvart at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I'm getting no signal whatsoever when I'm trying to watch TV in the
> frontend. It just flickers a bit and returns me to the frontpage of the
> program when I select this option. It doesn't give me any error messages on
> the console either when running it in the foreground.

Are you able to receive EIT programme listings, or record successfully?

It _could_ be a playback problem, rather than a tuning problem, so
during testing choose the CPU- or Slim playback profile in
mythfrontend's TV Playback settings..

> However, the system
> status shows that TV-card 1 to 6 (!) is not accessible. How come? I'm able
> to get a TV signal using "vlc channels.conf"...

The mythbackend user has to have access to the /dev/dvb* devices. Many
users run the mythbackend daemon as root, and mythfrontend as their
regular user.

If you open 2 consoles and run mythbackend in one, and mythfrontend in
the other (or redirect logging from both to two log files), you will
be able see the log ouput from both during a LiveTV session.

mythbackend is repsonsible for the tuning and recording, so its
logfile will be the most useful if it is not a playback issue.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/