[mythtv-users] mythfrontend hangs with "NVP::OpenFile(): Error, file not found: output.nuv"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 28 21:52:07 UTC 2008

On 12/28/2008 03:02 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 12/28/2008 03:55 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>>
>>> I just updated one of my frontends to the latest 0.21-fixes package from
>>> Packman, 0.21-19.  The backend is running 0.21-13.  Both of these
>>> packages have the same library API version and the same protocol number,
>>> so they should be cross-compatible (I think.)
>> Those versions numbers mean very little to Myth people--just to Packman
>> people.  Use mythfrontend --version or mythbackend --version to get the
>> actual version information.
> The curious thing is mythfrontend --version gives the same information
> for both packages, so I'm not sure where any incompatibility would be
> coming from.
>
> mythfrontend --version (on both machines):
> MythTV Version   : Unknown

Someone needs to have the Packman packager talk to the Fedora or the
Ubuntu packagers to see how to build a package that properly reports the
version information.  IIRC, they run a sed script before the build that
puts the SVN revision in.

>> Looks like your database/backend setup is wrong.  Run mythtv-setup on
>> both the local and remote machines and make sure you've specified the
>> right IP addresses for the database server, local backend, and master
>> backend.  Note that if you /do/ actually have a remote backend, you
>> should /not/ use 127.0.0.1 anywhere.
>>
> I ran mythtv-setup on the master backend and it had the proper IP.  The
> frontend machine with the problem is a frontend *only*, so it doesn't
> have mythtv-setup;

The supported way of fixing it is to use mythtv-setup.  Worst case,
install it (all of, what, 10MB or so) and uninstall when done.

>  however, I deleted the config.xml file and manually
> reconfigured mythfrontend on it to  make sure it had the proper IP.
>
> The frontend on the working machine has 'localhost' for its DBHostName,
> but I didn't configure that one.  I can't seem to manually reconfigure
> it; if I delete the config.xml file it just automatically reconfigures
> itself with localhost without asking me.
>
> This worked fine before I upgraded the package.  Is it possible for two
> mythtv versions that report the same version numbers to have hidden
> incompatibilities?

I doubt it's that.  It's almost definitely the fact that you haven't
configured the remote frontend.

>   Is Packman just distributing a bad build?

Other than the fact that it doesn't have the SVN revision in it, no.  :)

>   I'm
> afraid to try upgrading the master backend for fear I'll break that one,
> too.

Again, I'm pretty sure you just need to properly configure the remote
frontend.

Mike