[mythtv-users] Myth only uses the LCD display sometimes??

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Sat Dec 27 09:26:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have one of those Antec HTPC cases with the LCD thingamajig on the front.

Using one of the varions Mythbuntu HOWTOs floating around the web, I got
it all working nicely... or so I thought.

It seems it's a moody beast: 50% of the time MythTV ignores the LCD as
if it's configured not to.  On reboots, it either works perfectly or
not.  I've tried speaking to it in smoothing tones, even offered to make
it a cup of tea, but it just rebuffs my every attempt at reconciliation.

In the logs I see the message:
   2008-12-21 16:44:16.583 Connecting to lcd server: localhost:6545 (try
1 of 10)

But only when it works, when it doesn't work - I get no mention of it in
the logs.  The LCD display is still working, I see the default
lcdproc(?) output showing the odd system statistic.  I've checked the
myth configuration - obviously it hasn't changed.

Could there be some sort of permissions race condition going on here?
Something else?

I don't really know what could be causing this.  I'm tempted to just
keep rebooting until it works, 'cause I almost never have the mythbox
offline - but this is not the proper way.

Oh, and PS> can I up the contrast on this Antec display?  The blue light
is incredibly hard to read.  Even sitting on the lounge I have to get
the kids to read it.

thanks for any help,
cheers,
-Kingsley