[mythtv-users] Video Card Load.

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Dec 23 17:11:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 08:40:00 Travis Tabbal wrote:
>

> > The new FE is using my old CPU, an X2 3800+. That chip can do MPEG2 OTA
> > recordings in HD, but the x264 stuff caused it issues. I'm going to
> attempt
> > VDPAU on it. If that works, both myth machines may get some cheap
> Semprons.
>
> Are the savings from using Semprons really worthwhile?
>
> You can buy Athlon64s for under $30, how much cheaper do you want?

At that point, it's more about power usage. I wasn't aware the single core
64s were that cheap these days though. :) I haven't even looked at single
core procs in a while now. They just didn't have much use to me, but if I
can add a cheap video card or get a mobo with the right chipset, now I can
use them.